Magic Bullet is Washington, D.C.’s free comics newspaper published by the D.C. Conspiracy, a comics creators’ collective in the capital region established in 2005. The group has published themed anthologies, coordinated comics exhibits, lead panel discussions, and more.
Magic Bullet is primarily distributed in the D.C. area, but with many of our contributing artists attending various shows across the country, Magic Bullet has a growing readership, as well as a growing print run of 4,000 - 5,000.
Magic Bullet will be distributed at major east coast comic conventions in addition to area restaurants, shops, and venues. In addition, issues 1-8 of Magic Bullet are included in the U.S. Library of Congress permanent collection.
Deadline for Magic Bullet #15 Submissions: JULY 15, 2017
Live area: 9.5" x 15" (actual art size, without any borders, please create content to fit the live area size)
Page size: 10.5” x 16” (10.5” horizontal width; 16” vertical height)
Print run: 4,000 - 5,000
Content: Magic Bullet #15 will have NO THEME this time. Feel free to take an open approach to your comic.
Here are a few restrictions:
• Please submit only one-page stories in grayscale or black and white.
• Stories published in Magic Bullet should not include expletives or nudity.
• All comic pages are self-contained. If you think that you'd like to contribute to multiple issues of Magic Bullet and would like to create a recurring character, feel free, but make sure that each comic is self-contained. No cliffhangers.
• No pin-ups. We are looking for complete stories with beginning, middle, and end.
• All comics must be original content created for Magic Bullet and not previously printed anywhere else. We are not interested in being a reprint newspaper.
• Contributors living within the Washington, D.C. metro region are more inclined to receive prominence. If you live outside the area, you may still submit, but publication is not guaranteed.
We have the right to refuse submissions.
File resolution / format: Grayscale. 300 DPI. Bitmap linework should be at least 600 DPI. Flattened tif or pdf format ONLY.
Please label your file with your name and current Magic Bullet issue number in the following format: LastNameFirstNameMB15.pdf
How to submit your comic page: Magic Bullet has an open submission process. Anyone may submit a comic, however due to limited space and an editorial process that shows some preference to local artists and writers, not every comic submission will be published immediately. Sending an e-mail declaring an intent to submit ahead of time is both welcome and encouraged.
Due to previous issues with compression in email attached files, we now require files to be sent using YouSendIt (or similar service), WeTransfer, Dropbox, or by uploading the file to an FTP site. E-mail your final comic page to ‘magicbulletcomics (at) gmail.com’ and include how you’d prefer your name to be credited, website, and your City/State of residence.
Ownership and copyright: All artists and writers maintain ownership and copyright to their submission. Submitting to Magic Bullet only gives the newspaper a one-time publishing right with print and a potential digital edition.
Distribution plans: In addition to distributing the newspapers at local bookstores, restaurants, businesses, venues, etc., we will also be bringing this edition to many comic conventions and other events throughout the rest of the year.
Contributors are encouraged to pass along information to local establishments that seem like the type of place that would dig advertising or carrying Magic Bullet. Once printed, contributors are also asked to be involved with helping to distribute the physical publication to multiple outlets.
Questions? Ask!E-mail ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ if you have any questions or concerns regarding advertising or if you are interested in comic submissions.